The 133 foot South Australian, commonly known as the the dredge, was built in Holland in 1911 and sailed to Adelaide arriving in 1912. The vessel was a self propelled cutter suction dredge that was used to dredge the Port river. The South Australian ceased its working life in 1982 and scuttled in January 1985 as a recreational resource for divers and anglers . The wreck is laying upright in 20m water with the deck area in about 15m. The site has prolific fish life and is arguably the best fish dive off the metropolitan coast.