MacIntyre was built at Echuca, Victoria, in 1877, originally as a composite barge, but later converted to a schooner-rigged screw steamer. MacIntyre was outward bound from Port Victoria after having topped up its cargo of wheat, which had been loaded at Port Rickaby.
Under the command of Captain Lingard, the vessel reportedly struck a rock on the south end of Wardang Island at midnight on 1 April 1927.
The wreck site lies in 5-10m of water on rocky reef and sandy floor.
This wreck is part of the Wardang Island Maritime Heritage Trail and can be accessed by boat from the Port Victoria Boat Ramp.
The Wardang Island Maritime Heritage Trail features eight shipwrecks located around Wardang Island, near Port Victoria in Spencer Gulf.
Port Victoria, on the west coast of Yorke Peninsula, was an important trading port in the early 1900s and was one of the last Australian ports to see large square-rigged sailing vessels operate on a commercial basis. The last 'Grain Race' from Australia to Britain began from Port Victoria in 1949.