The San Miguel was a three-masted iron barque built at Birkenhead, England in 1864. The vessel measured 160.6 feet (49.2m) in length, 26.7 feet (8.1m) in breadth, 17 feet (5.2m) in depth and was of 535 registered gross tons.
A lot of steel frames lying east/west. The site consists of tangled and battered iron plates and frames from the vessel’s hull. Lying around and within the hull are located remains of some cargo and fittings, ceramic ware and bricks (still neatly stacked). There is a lot of material covered by the hull plating, rocks and weed. Rock and Sand http://www.environment.gov.au/shipwreck/public/wreck/wreck.do?key=5697
Access is by boat from Moonta, Port Hughes or Wallaroo. The wreck is located on the Tippara reef.
The Wreck is located roughly 300m SSW of the lighthouse. There is a reef wall to the west of the lighthouse which is roughly 2-3m deep. Following the reef wall south to where it starts to break up, then heading east, you will see the wreck about 30-40m along.
Be careful of the reef as it is quite shallow in parts depending on the tide.
Site Affected By: Swell Best View Time: Easterlies, Light Seas.