Notre Dame D’Arvor was built in 1902 by Antel & Chant De La Loire of Nantes, France. The barque left France in ballast to load wheat at Port Victoria. On 20 March 1920 the barque was approaching Port Victoria in strong southwest to southeast squalls and high seas.
While rounding up to anchor it ran aground on the rocks on the southwest corner of Wardang Island. It was later claimed that the Wardang Island Light had been inaccurately placed on the charts used by Captain Menguy. Attempts to tow the vessel failed and an accidental fire aboard the vessel a few months later totally gutted it. The intact hull, masts and some yards remained upright for 10 years before they broke down.
Today, the wreck lies approximately 150m from the rocks at a depth of 4m, with much of the remains covered in weeds.
This wreck is part of the Wardang Island Maritime Heritage Trail and can be accessed by boat from the Port Victoria Boat Ramp.
The Wardang Island Maritime Heritage Trail features eight shipwrecks located around Wardang Island, near Port Victoria in Spencer Gulf.
Port Victoria, on the west coast of Yorke Peninsula, was an important trading port in the early 1900s and was one of the last Australian ports to see large square-rigged sailing vessels operate on a commercial basis. The last 'Grain Race' from Australia to Britain began from Port Victoria in 1949.